Islamic Beliefs & Worship
By Huda, About.com Guide
General information about Islam, including basic information about the faith and a glossary of common terms.
- Introduction to Islam
- Definition: "Muslim" vs. "Islamic"
- Shia and Sunni Muslims
- Muslim Population of the World
- Top Introductory Books About Islam
There is a lot of erroneous information floating around regarding the faith of Islam: that Muslims worship a moon god or a black stone; that Islam degrades women; that Muslims are all violent terrorists; etc. Here we set the record straight.
- Is Terrorism Sanctioned in Islam?
- Does the Qur'an Say to "Kill the Infidel?"
- Is the Crescent Moon a Symbol of Islam?
Articles of Faith
Muslims believe in six main articles of faith, which outline their beliefs in God, prophets, books of revelation, angels, the hereafter, and destiny.
Pillars of Practice
Muslims observe five formal acts of worship, which are called the five pillars of Islam. Based on the foundation of faith, the pillars of Islam help build and structure a Muslim’s daily life.
The central holy text of Islam is the Qur'an. Muslims believe that the words of the Qur'an were directly revealed by God, through the Prophet Muhammad. The Qur'an is a source of inspiration and guidance to Muslims, filled with reminders of God's mercy and blessings, warnings of punishment for wrongdoers, stories of ancient peoples and the lessons they learned, and instructions for daily living.
- Before You Read the Qur'an
- Proper Handling of the Qur'an
- Read the Qur'an in 30 Days
- Tafsir - Qur'an Commentary & Companion Texts