1. Religion & Spirituality
Huda

Ramadan and the 2012 Olympics

By April 18, 2012

The summer Olympic Games in London will take place during the Islamic fasting month of Ramadan this year. The schedule affects not only the estimated 3,000 Muslim athletes, but also the vendors, spectators, and officials. During Ramadan, Muslims do not take any food or water during the daylight hours, but may eat and drink throughout the evening. Experts in sports medicine predict that any effect on performance will depend on the type of sport, the duration and time of day of the event, and sleeping/training schedules. Some Muslims may choose not to fast in order to be at their peak performance, and then make up the days of Ramadan with fasting days at a later time.

Read More:

Read More:
Comments
April 19, 2012 at 7:45 am
(1) n.benjamin says:

I wud just like to ask if its allowed for them to be given a choice to nt fast and pay back the days? Olympics shouldn’t be more important than Allah and such an auspicious month?

April 19, 2012 at 9:12 am
(2) Rasheedah says:

n.Benjamin, I couldn’t agree more!!! This is a test and if the Olympics surpass their love for ALLAH, then let them play. If they love for ALLAH surpass the love of the Olympics, then they should choose Ramadan. This is a month for ALLAH. This is the Month of 30 days ALLAH has asked of us. It’s a no brainer!

April 19, 2012 at 12:57 pm
(3) Yousuf says:

I think some countries like Saudi Arabia and other Islamic states pay kufarra (atonement) for its athletes/citizens that represents the country in an engagement that might have a direct influence on their fast. Engagement such as sports, war, etc are included in this category. What the country does is to feed 60 poor people twice a day on behalf of each citizen representing the state in any of such engagement.

April 19, 2012 at 2:51 pm
(4) monsur says:

my advice to muslim Athletics they should not participate in the coming olmpics bcos ramadan is important , Is comandment from ALMIGHTY ALLAH.

April 19, 2012 at 3:43 pm
(5) MONSUR says:

we talking about ALLAH’S comandment they talking of sport? is in comperable they foget it .

April 20, 2012 at 5:25 am
(6) mrajan says:

it is so and very important to any muslim in this world to know his creator ,why is he here in this world not for any purpose expecty to follow ALLAH s way of which is fast inthe holly month of ramadhan not any thing apart from that……….

April 20, 2012 at 7:54 am
(7) Sidiq says:

“May Allah help them on their decision to fast or performe their athletic talent which may give Muslims a better image in the Western’s World.

April 20, 2012 at 9:25 am
(8) HAFSAT ARINOLA YUSUF says:

I will go with monsur suggestion the Muslims among the athletes should not participate, as we all know that fasting is compulsory.

April 21, 2012 at 6:04 pm
(9) Rizwan Ali says:

blessing and peace to all the athletics members and team l do hope after the Ramdhan they will make up, May Allah SWT have mercy

April 22, 2012 at 9:37 am
(10) Gbola Isiak Makinde says:

Ramadam is one of the five Pillars of Islam and it is a compulsory injuction from ALLAH(SWT). All Muslims must observe this fasting during this month except , the Sick, the Aged people on along journey(not with modern transportation system) and sports men are not part of this exclusions and there can be no attonment for them.
If they fair and love ALLAH, they should fast during this period.
Remember, any good DEED yuo can do in this life, do it as if it is the last you do in this life. ALLAH knows best.

April 26, 2012 at 10:00 am
(11) abu sulaym says:

if they are on travelling which is one of the reasons permitted not fasting they can leave fasting for later days when they wiil return home, and fasting is better
for them according to Quran.

April 26, 2012 at 9:08 pm
(12) syed says:

muslims should give importance to ramdhan than olympics we do not know how long we live secondry is wordly achivements

April 28, 2012 at 9:10 am
(13) noor says:

This decision is between them and Allah (SWT). [Sura 42:10] “The final decision for the matters in which you differ rests with Allah; such is my Lord – I rely on Him; and towards Him do I incline.”

May 5, 2012 at 10:49 pm
(14) Mohammed Shafi Ismail says:

If sports is more dearer
Al Quran 24. Say: If your fathers, your sons, your brothers, your wives, your kindred, the wealth that you have gained, the commerce in which you fear a decline, and the dwellings in which you delight … are dearer to you than Allah and His Messenger, and striving hard and fighting in His Cause , then wait until Allah brings about His Decision (torment). And Allah guides not the people who are Al-Fasiqun (the rebellious, disobedient to Allah).

May 10, 2012 at 7:44 pm
(15) Ureki says:

I am not musling and I live in a non muslin counry.
I have two muslins frisnds, ther are cousins.
When they come to my house, one of them likes to drink gin and tonic. The other likes whiskey and soda water.
Few days ago they both came toguether to my house. I did what I always do. I set three long glasses and got the whiskey and gin bottles out.
The moment they saw me with the bottles, they said. “NOOOOOO WE DON´T DRINK ALCOHOL !!!!!!!” WE ARE MUSLINS..
I was flabagasted….. I KNOW they like their drink when they come on their own, BUT they had to show each other that they were GOOD MUSLINS:
This is only a small example of the TWO FACES acctitude of MANY muslins. (Do as I say BUT not as I do)
I couls tell of MANY MORE:
To the outsiders. MANY MUSLINS ARE GOOD MUSLINS; but when they have no witness, they do what most people like to do.
TOTAL HIPOCRESSY..

July 26, 2012 at 10:26 pm
(16) Mustafa says:

Ramadan Kereem to all.
Pardon my late text. I believe all Muslims should Fast.
Olympics or not. Fast, in the name of ALLAH!
Lastly, I DON’T BELIEVE ONE WORD OF (UREKI) COMMENT.
THE MAN IS OBVIOUSLY MAKING FUN OF ISLAM.
If the two cousins drank beer, they drank beer. That doesn’t stop one’s belief in the one God, ALLAH.

July 30, 2012 at 10:26 am