1. Religion & Spirituality
Huda

Aminah Assilmi: A Leader Lost

By March 6, 2010

To God we belong, and to Him we all return.

Aminah Assilmi, a prominent Muslim lecturer, writer and women's rights advocate in the U.S., died Friday morning in a car accident in Tennessee. She was returning with her son from a speaking engagement in New York.  Sister Aminah was reportedly killed instantly; her son was injured and taken to hospital.

Sister Aminah, who was 65, served as the Director of the International Union of Muslim Women.  Despite previous health setbacks, including battles with cancer, sister Aminah continued to be active and maintained a rigorous schedule of speaking engagements around the United States.

Sister Aminah is survived by her children Amber, Whitney, and Mohammad, and by several grandchildren. May Allah show mercy to sister Aminah, and strengthen her family in their time of sorrow.  She will be sorely missed by Muslims in the U.S. and around the world.

Comments
March 8, 2010 at 10:32 am
(1) M.N. says:

To Allah we belong and to Allah we shall return. This is a great loss for the Muslim community as well as for her children. They are in my thoughts and prayers. I am heartbroken. This makes me so sad, bc you just thought she will be around a long time. And particularly because I got to know her personally for years, was one of the first to hear about her Hajj experience, and she told me her feet hadn’t touched the ground even though she was back from her trip. This is a personal loss. I don’t want to say these things online, but I feel I must say it somewhere. What stories she had, and what a journey she had. May Allah welcome her into Jannah and shower her with His mercy. Ameen.

March 9, 2010 at 1:21 pm
(2) Laila says:

I just received an email about her passing and I was heartbroken and I don’t even know; only read about her. Alhamdulillah alaa kuli haal! Inalillahi waina illayhi rajiun! Alhamdulillah. May Allah grant her Jannatul firdaus, forgive her sins and have mercy on her. May Allah give subra to all those who knew her, her family and let this bring us all closer to Allah, azza wa jal….AMIN.

March 10, 2010 at 9:44 am
(3) syed says:

Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilaihi Rajiyoon. It is very sad indeed that this wonderful and resourceful lady has passed away so soon from our midst. I had first read about her on the welcome-back.org website. She had gone thru a lot and also done a lot for the muslim ummah. May Allah grant her maghfirath and jannat-ul-firdaus. Ameen.

March 10, 2010 at 11:33 am
(4) Adirai Ahmad says:

Innaa lillaahi wa innaa ilaihi raajiun! I was shocked to hear the sudden demise of sister Aminah Assilmi! However, Allaah’s Will has to supersede all the happenings in this world.

Recently I have compiled the stories of Muslim women converts, especially in the west, in Tamil language and the book’s name is “Peru Petra Penmanikal” (The Gifted Women) in which I have included the wonderful true story of this sister.

May the Almighty Allaah grant her Jannatul Firdaws! Aameen!

March 11, 2010 at 8:24 am
(5) fatima says:

condelence to the family of aminah…in sha allah grant her soul…even idont know her i feel sad…..that she is gone…and allah forgive her sin……and she is happy now where she is…….

March 11, 2010 at 9:36 am
(6) Amuda I. Muhammed says:

We came from Allah and to Him we shall all return

I dont know Madam Aminah personally. But anytime a fellow Molem departs we experience lose. Ta the same time the event serves to testify Allah’s Mercy on us living. The even reminds of the inevitability of dearth and the fact that Allha is aways in Command and His Will sahll be sserved.May Sister Aminah be on the right hand side of our Holy Prophet Muhammed on the day of Judgement. May all of us Muslems be among the Prophets followers that day

March 11, 2010 at 9:39 am
(7) Anzah says:

salam takziah, to Aminah and family, may Allah blesses her soul.

March 11, 2010 at 10:14 am
(8) Ogunbunmi Lateef says:

INA LILAHI WAINA ILAHEE RAJUUNA. May her soul rest in peace.Allah should grant her Alujanna Fridaos. AMIN.

March 11, 2010 at 10:14 am
(9) mohga Mahmoud says:

Salam May ALLAH bless her grave ISA

MY sorry to all her family

March 11, 2010 at 11:21 am
(10) zahra says:

Only the Great Allah knows when and how we will depart from this world of the living. May He grant Sis Aminah forgiveness form all her shortcomings and give her the eternal happiness in paradise. Condolences to her loved ones and may her death led them more closer to Allah. Maasalamah to you Sis. Aminah may her example inspires us Muslims to follow what she has started.

March 11, 2010 at 12:03 pm
(11) Mohamed says:

To ALLAH we belong and to Him we shall return….
May the ALMIGHTY bless her soul and rest in paradise. aameen ..

March 11, 2010 at 12:31 pm
(12) amina says:

Innaa lillaahi wa innaa ilaihi raajiun! subhanallah.
I am sad but her sufferings in this world are over. May Allah(swt) bless her with higher level in Jannah.

March 11, 2010 at 12:35 pm
(13) khaled fayez says:

to ALLAH we belong and to ALLAH we shall return
may ALLAH grants her forgiveness and mercy
may the all mighty rest her soul in the paradise

March 11, 2010 at 12:41 pm
(14) Abu Ahmed says:

Inna lillahi wa inna ‘ilaihi raji’un. A brother lent me a lecture by this wonderful sister some years ago, and I was so impresed by her, her personal struggles and defence of Islam. May Allah grant her Jannah.

March 11, 2010 at 5:59 pm
(15) Bob Hougland says:

Regarding the death of Aminah Assilimi, though mankind has lost a leader, God has gained a Companion of the Foremost quality.

March 11, 2010 at 8:15 pm
(16) Sami says:

Our deepest condolence are with her family members.
She has left great example to follow.
May Allah(SWt) grant her jannatul firdous…….

March 11, 2010 at 9:52 pm
(17) shafuvan says:

May Allah grant her Jannah.

March 12, 2010 at 3:39 am
(18) Muhammad says:

May Allah have mercy on her. Let there arise several other sister Aminas to continue from where late sister Aminah stopped. May Allah ta’ala take excellent care of her offsprings and grant everything good in the world and the next.

March 12, 2010 at 4:03 am
(19) Taibah says:

From Allah we come,and to Allah we shall return. May Allah forgive sister Amina her sins,and may he grant her Paradise,ISL.

March 12, 2010 at 5:13 am
(20) izzat says:

inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raaji’un,may ALLAH grant her jaana.

March 12, 2010 at 11:26 am
(21) Ilhem says:

Salam Alaikum,

I had never heard of her until now and I just checked her website…Mashaallah!!!!!! What a Lady …May Allah grant her Paradise! Ameen
She is such an inspiration and want to learn more about her life…

March 12, 2010 at 11:49 am
(22) Fatima Isah says:

May ALLAH grants her forgiveness and mercy
may the allmighty ALLAH rest her soul in the paradise

March 12, 2010 at 9:58 pm
(23) ibrahim umar says:

May Allah forgive her all her sins and grant her Al-jannatul firdaus,Ameen.

March 13, 2010 at 1:09 am
(24) MdShafiqM says:

INNALILLAHHI WA INNA ELAIHI RAJIOOON.
I had a fortune to watch some of her speeches on video and presented to my wife (who too fortunately happened to embrace Islam too), upon viewing them I found her faith increased even more and kept her more updated, added strengths to her beliefs and practice. Whilst it was a easier way to derive knowledge and seek inspiration and understand the realities from a correct perspective. It made my life too more comfortable and smooth and helped me love my wife and rely or depend on her even more.
May Allah-the Almighty bless “AMINAH ASSILMI” with the highest of heavens. She was an icon, a great inspiration, and a devout Muslim who helped many a ladies to the right path, helped to remove the doubts, suspicion about Islam and enlightened with the truth and purity of Islam, especially when the disillusioned people of certain parts world were messing up with the realities and made every attempt to undermine Islam and misguiding the ignorant/ innocent and persons who in the various fictitious names of freedoms were being dragged to impious lives and ultimately to hell, in the world and of course in the hereafter.
May Allah-the Almighty empower the Muslim women like here in all times to help guide and remove misconceptions and add clarity about Islam in all walks of life.
Ameen !!! SumAmeen !!!

March 13, 2010 at 1:14 am
(25) MdShafiqM says:

INNALILLAHHI WA INNA ELAIHI RAJIOOON.
I was fortunate to have watched of “Aminah Assilmi’s” speeches on video and presented to my wife (who too fortunately happened to embrace Islam too), upon viewing them I found her faith increased even more and kept her more updated, added strengths to her beliefs and practice. Whilst it was a easier way to derive knowledge and seek inspiration and understand the realities from a correct perspective. It made my life too more comfortable and smooth and helped me love my wife and rely or depend on her even more.
May Allah give all her relatives, friends, students, and all the strength to bear the loss and fill the void that she has left.
Ameen !!! SumAmeen !!!

March 13, 2010 at 1:41 am
(26) MsM says:

INNALILLAHHI WA INNA ELAIHI RAJIOOON.

March 13, 2010 at 5:50 am
(27) lawal says:

Inna lillah wa inna ilaihi raji un,May ALLAH grant Aminah Aljannah Firdausi. May He reward her abunduntly for all her noble couse during her life time.

March 13, 2010 at 12:57 pm
(28) khalid meftuh says:

We lost greet leader May Allah gave her his paradies from ethiopia

March 14, 2010 at 2:31 am
(29) Abduselam says:

Inna lillah wa Inna ilaihi raji un,May ALLAH grant Aminah Aljannah Firdausi. May He reward her abunduntly for all her noble couse during her life time.

March 15, 2010 at 6:40 am
(30) Fauzy says:

Alhamdulillah alla kullu haal,Innalillah wa inna’ilaihil rajium. May her soul rest in perfect peace.

March 16, 2010 at 8:17 am
(31) Sadiq says:

Rossiler. W.Raymod said; “life is eternal and love is immortal, and death is only a horizon, and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight” Today a dark cloud has befallen us ( WORLD MUSLIMS),but through our tear drenched eyes, a ray of light appears as we become comforted by the knowledge that sis. Aminah will insha Allah be granted aljanat and that she will be conted among members of prophet Mohammed’s house house hold.

March 16, 2010 at 11:39 am
(32) Yosra says:

Asalamu Alaykom,

I’m leaving this comment for all the American women who would like to embrace Islam but fear losing their children from their marriage before conversion. Sister Aminah did in fact lose her children for years and years to a legal system which, at the time, didn’t understand Islam. She followed her true path and continued to serve Allah.

After the children were older, they came to Islam because she guided them—not from day-to-day contact but by example. Being true to yourself (and therefore Allah) means that you can help show your children the truth. Even if you don’t have physical custody of them, you can be good to them by becoming a Muslim mother. Now, Sister Aminah has left a legacy of three Muslim children. Their good deeds, which stemmed from her teachings, will live on.

In time, inshallah, the four will meet again in Jennah. YA RAB! I hope to meet her there at Al-Kawthar. I hope the same for you.

March 16, 2010 at 6:13 pm
(33) shadique Shah says:

assalamualeikuum
i’m heart broken to learnt that sister Assilmi got expired recently.
i’m sure Allah’s angels in heaven must be with her…
i dont know much about her ,i came to knw about her on a website. i was touched by her story that i almost cried.
lets all pray for her.
condolences to her family

March 18, 2010 at 12:51 pm
(34) Nasiru Ibrahim says:

I pray to her may Allah give her Aljannah firsau and others mujahideen fisabililla to Islam and muslim ameen.

March 18, 2010 at 4:27 pm
(35) Nabiwieya says:

Inna lillah wa Inna ilaihi raji un

Insha Allah may the Almighty grant her jannatul firdous and subr in the hearts of her family and friends. Insha may Allah the Almighty stenghten our iman and give us courage to follow the footsteps of the beautiful Muslimah.

March 22, 2010 at 4:36 am
(36) Imran Khan says:

Inna lillah wa inna ilaihi raji un.
when I first read her story of embracing Islam, tear came into my eyes. I think Allah knows the best time for everyones return from this world. We all have to leave at some time. Now its our job is to continue her efforts.

May Allah give her place in Jannah-tul-Firdous. (Ameen)

March 27, 2010 at 9:52 am
(37) Abu Yousuf says:

Inna-lillahi wa inna-ilaihi raajioon!

I remember reading about her road towards becoming a muslim, and was very touched. Although I was not prevelaged to meet her, may Allah join us all in Heaven with her, Amin.

March 30, 2010 at 5:15 am
(38) isra says:

Al-Fatihah !!! I just knew her from read the HARAKAH(Muslim News Paper in Malaysia). May Allah Blessins her and put in His highest Jannah ……Ameen

April 8, 2010 at 10:42 am
(39) nura abubakar says:

May Allah grant her a peaceful home( paradise )and bless her family and children also with protect and guidance to protect islam as sister aminah did.
-FOR the da;awah which she was doing before her passing Allah will pass her through the tourment of hell fire,Ammin.
May God give her son a quick recovery. AMIN
MAY allah GIVES ALL THE MUSLIMS the power and wisdom to worship him and grant us into aljannah.Amin
nura
nigeria

April 11, 2010 at 8:18 am
(40) Mashud Haque says:

INNALILLAHHI WA INNA ELAIHI RAJIOOON.
Inever knew her. Achild called Whitney?
May Allah be pleased with us all.

May 12, 2010 at 11:52 am
(41) Omar says:

To Allah we belong, and to Allah we all shall return.

I ask all brothers and sisters to recite al-Fatiha for the departed sister.

Bismillah. I just heard about this and am completely heartbroken. Not only was she an inspiration to us all, but was such a hard worker for Islam and woman’s rights.

Ah! While her struggles in this life are over and is, Insha’Allah, resting in the abode of tranquility and love, I can’t help but feel distraught at her loss.

June 10, 2010 at 6:56 am
(42) Amalhay says:

Innalillahi wa inna illaihi rojiun

May Allah gives this wonderful soul maghfirah and the best place in janah.

May her work remain and be a great inspiration for sisters from all over the world.

Amin.

June 14, 2010 at 3:39 am
(43) Siti Rohani says:

Al Fatihah.. may her soul rest in peace, Insya Allah!

June 25, 2010 at 7:49 am
(44) Abdulkadir says:

She has been an inspiration to even the born muslims and the reverted muslims. May Allah forgive her and admit into Aljannatul Firdaus.

August 30, 2010 at 4:15 am
(45) Jaradat says:

i feel so sorry about her, may her sould rest in peace.. She was a wonderful Muslim women

July 7, 2011 at 2:12 am
(46) Abdul Said says:

I’m a 60 year old born Muslim. Even more than a year had passed since she had left us, my tears still trickle when I read about her journey towards Islam. Allah the All Mighty love her more than us. May Allah bless her soul. Ameen

July 27, 2011 at 1:47 pm
(47) tark says:

أنا لله وإنا إليه راجعون
رحمة الله الفقيدة رحمة واسعة، وادخلها فسيح جناته، وألهم أهلها الصبر والسلوان،
لم أكن أعرف الفقيدة، ولكنني الان فقط قرات قصة إسلامها، وتأثرت بها للغاية، وأحببت أن أعرف المزيد عنها، فعلمت أن الله توفاها العام المنصرم،
مرة أخرى رحمها الله رحمة واسعة وجمعنا معها على خير.
اللهم أمين ..

October 30, 2011 at 6:47 pm
(48) Maryam says:

Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Illaihi Raji’woon! May Allah SWT grant her Jannat ul Fidaus and forgive her of her sins Ameen suma Ameen

October 31, 2011 at 9:11 am
(49) aminah says:

innalilla wainelahirojiun

December 7, 2011 at 8:35 am
(50) haroon says:

أنا لله وإنا إليه راجعون
She had an amazing story to tell. May Allah have mercy on her and be pleased with her – and may continue to guide all of her family. Such an inspiration for me here in the UK tabarakAllah

January 24, 2012 at 9:54 pm
(51) Adnan says:

Innards lol ahi wa innards ilahi rajiun

As Salam may Allah swt give Sabr to her children. Woke up a bit before fajr, while surfing net came across her story, started crying half a way through , after fajr i came back from mosque anxious to finish her story where she says she has cancer . After, out of curiosity checked wiki to find out about this amazing amazing women. Biography started by saying was and I fought she passed away from cancer but no from a car crash whilst coming back from dawa and Allah swt,s work. I would like to believe she is like the mujahideen, not dead, she was so dear to Allah, she does not have to wait for judgement day but with other shahid’s. Allah knows best

June 30, 2012 at 7:22 pm
(52) Abdou Touray says:

I came across the video of sister Aminah Assilmi for the first time on youtube a few weeks ago, It was hard to believe when I suddently saw another video of her on youtube entittled: The Late Sister Aminah Assilmi, former…..

I am profoundly sadened when I read about the passing of sister Aminah in both Wikipedia and Islam.about.com
May Allah grant her a higher place in Al-Jannah. Ameen!

Abdou

August 6, 2012 at 2:20 am
(53) Immary says:

I just knew her today from a video on YouTube .When i learnt she had passed away, i felt i have lost a very dear sister although i’ve known her from only one video. Tears were streaming from my eyes a few moments ago after i learnt of her death. May Allah grant her paradise.

November 18, 2012 at 1:16 am
(54) M.B. says:

Alhamdulillah she died a Muslim. This is the greatest gift from Allah. Alhamdulillah she died a Muslim on a Friday. The is a special day. There is a narration reported concerning the excellence of dying on Friday, though said to be not authentic according to Al Bukhari, InshaAllah Allah has all His Mercy. The Hadith was related by At-Tirmidhy from the Hadith of `Abdullah ibn `Amr (may Allah be pleased with him): There is no Muslim passes away on Friday or on Thursday night but Allah will save them from the trial of the grave.” The chain of narration is weak. Abu Ya`la reported the Hadith on the authority of Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) with similar wordings but its chain of narration is weaker.

February 3, 2013 at 1:49 pm
(55) Shunu Abdullah says:

I never knew Aminah Assilmi personally how ever, I have been touched by her lectures and ismalic work in US. May Allah grant her firdaus ameen

June 25, 2013 at 10:39 pm
(56) dhahabu says:

i just read about aminah and am so proud of her may she get janna ameen

August 11, 2013 at 5:45 am
(57) Abdul Rachman says:

I just saw her story in youtube 10 minutes ago. What a woman. May Allah bless her and her family.

September 1, 2013 at 4:24 am
(58) Abdullahi Kawu says:

Just saw one of her lecture, watching it, thereafter to get to know that she died was a huge loss. May Allah reward her efforts in Islam, and give us such abilities to serve Islam in the best capacities too insha Allah

October 27, 2013 at 7:00 am
(59) Khireddine zwawi says:

May Allah bless her paradise. I felt sad that she passed away and i never heard of her story and her struggle for delivering the Islamic view to the west. Also i feel very encouraged by her story and that Allah guidance is always here. so to say we should never despair from Allah’s blessings and guidance “Hidaya”. May Allah bless us the beautiful patience inchallah.

February 5, 2014 at 2:59 am
(60) hal says:

I had the pleasure of listening to Sr Aminah in person in 2006. I was shocked when I heard she passed away in 2010. Tonight, I have been watching her videos online. May Allah swt accept all her actions, all the sadaqa she has left behind. Rahimahallah wa ghafara laha. May Allah swt forgive her and pardon her and may he do the same for us when we reach that point in our journey too. Ameen.